Friday, September 2, 2011

Julie's Review: The Brass Verdict

The Brass Verdict: A Novel Summary: Lincoln lawyer Mickey Haller and LAPD Detective Harry Bosch team up in Michael Connelly's biggest novel ever. Things are finally looking up for defense attorney Mickey Haller. After two years of wrong turns, Haller is ready to go back to the courtroom. When Hollywood lawyer Jerry Vincent is murdered, Haller inherits his biggest case yet: the defense of Walter Elliott, a prominent studio executive accused of murdering his wife and her lover. But as Haller prepares for the case that could launch him into the big time, he learns that Vincent's killer may be coming for him next. Enter Harry Bosch. Determined to find Vincent's killer, he is not opposed to using Haller as bait. But as danger mounts and the stakes rise, these two loners realize their only choice is to work together. ~MichaelConnelly.com

Review: Connelly's Lincoln Lawyer novel was not my favorite of his. I found Mickey Haller to be a slime ball with no code of ethics and nothing redeeming about him. I do like to read books in order which is why I'm reading The Brass Verdict now, even if it is a Haller novel. Although to my delight we see Det. Harry Bosch and Reporter Jack McEvoy in this book as well. I couldn't have been more thrilled to see all of these characters in one book.

Mr. Connelly knows how to suck you in right away. I always find myself immersed in the story right away. The Brass Verdict is no different. We are quickly re-introduced to Mickey because he's being summoned to the judge's office about an issue he has no clue about. You see Mickey's been out of the game for a year but as a reader we don't really know the full story. This part is slowly revealed over the course of the book. The Brass Verdict is told from Mickey's point of view and it works because he's believable. I like this Mickey Haller much better than the one from The Lincoln Lawyer. Sure he's still a defense attorney but he doesn't seem to be such a slime ball here.

What I loved about this novel is that you know that Mickey has a "smoking gun" in the case but you don't know what it is until the trial. This had my brain working on over drive trying to figure it out. And then as soon as it's revealed, BOOM!! It made total sense and I loved how Mickey pulled it all together.

Now, while I said that Jack McEvoy is in the book, he's not a main character but it was nice to see him back even if for a little bit. I really enjoyed the partnering of Bosch with Haller or vice versa. It was intriguing to see a Detective working with a Defense attorney when they are usually at opposite ends of a case.

I will be interested to see where Mickey Haller goes from here. It could be a new chapter in his life.

I will be visiting the next book The Reversal very shortly; where again Bosch and Haller are paired up.

Final Take: 4/5


Share/Bookmark

No comments: