Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Julie's Review: The Quickie


Summary: Lauren Stillwell is not your average damsel in distress.When the she discovers her husband leaving a hotel with another woman, she decides to beat him at his own game. But her revenge goes dangerously awry, and she finds her world spiraling into a hell that becomes more terrifying by the hour. In a further twist of fate, Lauren must take on a job that threatens everything she stands for. Now, she's paralyzed by a deadly secret that could tear her life apart. With her job and marriage on the line, Lauren's desire for retribution becomes a lethal inferno as she fights to save her livelihood--and her life.Patterson takes us on a twisting roller-coaster ride of thrills in his most gripping novel yet. This story of love, lust and dangerous secrets will have readers' hearts pounding to the very last page.

Review: I really just need to stop reading James Patterson, but he's like a drug that I keep going back to, probably out of habit. Plus my dad read it and sent it to me so it's not like I'm out money on the book. I know why the title of the book is called The Quickie because once I started reading it, it was a quick read. There are a few good twists in the book and one that comes in the first 55 pages of the book that I really didn't see coming but the rest of the book is pretty standard fare for James Patterson. The characters were 2 dimensional and didn't get any emotional attachment from me either way. I didn't love Lauren and I didn't hate her either. At times I just wish she would have "done the right thing" because I think it would have made for a better story than the one that was spit out here. This is probably the lowest rating I've given a book in a very long time, but I do feel it's deserved. From now on I'll probably only read the Alex Cross books and the Women's Murder Club series from James Patterson.

Final Take: 2.5/5

5 comments:

Julie P. said...

Great review. I totally agree with you -- except I think 2.5 is quite generous! :)

Julie said...

LOL. If I gave it anything lower I would wonder why I read it. :)

Julie P. said...

I read his latest 7TH HEAVEN and it was pretty good!

Julie said...

Women's Murder Club is always pretty good. I'll have to see if my dad bought that one.

Anonymous said...

I have not had a chance to read this one, yet! I do have it on my wish list.