Tuesday, December 10, 2013

YA Challenge Wrap-Up

Photobucket Ok, I failed at it. If failing means not reading everything on my YA Challenge list then yes, I failed. I will counter to say that I did read some YA books and I didn't hate them. I will say this, I don't think The Hunger Games is a YA book other than the fact that the characters are teenagers. It deals with some pretty adult themes in that series.

So here is what I did read:

The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Mockingjay
Virals
The Fault in Our Stars

Out of them, The Fault in Our Stars hit it out of the park. It was an emotional journey about first loves and dealing with death, something all of us can relate to. I am very excited to see the movie as well.

For those of you who made recommendations that didn't make my reading cut, don't worry they are on a list somewhere.

Will I stick up my nose at all YA books in the future? No, I won't but I'll still be picky about them. More picky than I about other genres I read.

 Share/BookmarkGoogle+

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Actually, I find Hunger Games to be very YA. For the adult version, you'd want Ayn Rand.

YA isn't all cuddly and fuzzy like it was when we were growing up. It deals with big problems on a big scale. Since you like the more serious side of YA you might like Ellen Hopkins.

I'm glad you found some you liked! I'm still gonna get you to read Gallagher Girls at some point. :D