Friday, December 6, 2013

Book to Movie Review: Silver Linings Playbook

Review: I have watched this movie several times.  Each time I watch it, I fall in love with it more. From the casting to the realistic handling of such a serious subject to the romance…this movie has it all.

For starters, the casting is wonderful.  Bradley Cooper is the perfect Pat Peoples.  Perfect.  He nailed it.  After reading the book, the lovely Jennifer Lawrence would not be my first choice for Tiffany.  I would have gone with someone older and grittier, probably my go-to Sandra Bullock because she’s always ah-mazing.  However, the Tiffany in the book is very different from the Tiffany in the movie.  I loved the movie version.  In fact, I think Jennifer Lawrence made Tiffany more likable.  She encompassed everything book Tiffany had, but better.  (I guess this is the downfall of reading the book and watching the movie, you can’t help but compare the two.)  Jackie Weaver and Robert Di Nero were wonderful as well.  As Pat Peoples Sr., Di Nero added charm and depth that book Pat Sr. lacked.

The script is great.  It’s dramatic and fascinating.  The characters are really developed.   With a name like “Silver Linings Playbook” you kind of knew the movie would have a happy ending.  And if it didn’t, then it totally should.  What I wasn’t expecting was all the comedy, mainly in the form of the always entertaining Chris Tucker.  Although I admit, I am one of those people who laughs at totally inappropriate times anyway and there is one scene in the movie that makes me laugh whenever I watch it.  I try not to, but I can’t help it.  It’s probably because the scene cuts a little too close to home.   And it’s those moments, the ones that makes you feel like you are spying on someone’s real life, that make this movie so great to watch.

I know it is difficult to adapt a movie from the book, there is only so much a screenwriter can do in two hours.  The book and movie are very different with similarities being in characters and basic plot.  Everything else is different.  I think I enjoyed the movie slightly more than the novel because of my great like (bordering on obsession) for Jennifer Lawrence.  I heart her, she’s wonderful and a fabulous actress.  Silver Linings Playbook is totally worth watching just to see why she won an Oscar for this role and why that one won’t be her last.

This is a great date night movie as well as the story appeals to both men and women.  I’m sure the eye candy doesn’t hurt either.  Now if you haven’t seen it, grab some popcorn, tissues and get to it.

 Final Take: 5/5
Share/BookmarkGoogle+

No comments: