Thursday, May 24, 2012

Jenn's Review: The Battle of the Labyrinth

Summary:  Percy Jackson isn’t expecting freshman orientation to be any fun, but when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears, pursued by demon cheerleaders, things quickly go from bad to worse.

Time is running out for Percy. War between the gods and the Titans is drawing near. Even Camp Half-Blood isn’t safe, as Kronos’ army prepares to invade its once impenetrable borders. To stop them, Percy and his friends must set out on a quest through the Labyrinth — a sprawling underground world with surprises and danger at every turn.

Along the way Percy will confront powerful enemies, find out the truth about the lost god Pan, and face the Titan lord Kronos’ most terrible secret. The final war begins . . . with The Battle of the Labyrinth.

Review:  This is, by far, my favorite Percy Jackson novel.  I love all the action in these books, but what I love most of all is character development and The Battle of the Labyrinth is brimming with it.

Percy is going to be a freshman in high school next year, that is if he doesn't get kicked out before he even starts. But this is Percy we're talking about; trouble follows him.  And to top it all off, Annabeth is mad at him and he doesn't know why (oblivious boy!). So begins another quest and another run in with a god who may or maynot have the quest parties best interests in mind. 


In my reviews thus far, I've never mentioned the prophesies from the oracle that are made prior to each quest, but they're fascinating little mind twisters and I love that they never mean what they appear to mean at first interpretation.  And once the meaning of the prophecy becomes clear, it totally changes the way the reader views certain events that occurred. It's an amazing double weaving of storyline that sets this series apart from so many middle grade reads.  

All the members of the quest are having internal emotional battles in addition to the physical and psychological battles with the Labyrinth.  They learn who they can trust, and who is worth trusting, even if they aren't quite ready to extend an olive branch yet.

I look forward to finishing up the series soon with The Last Olympian and reading much more from Rick Riordan as I dive into his other books.

Final Take:  4.5/5

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Roof Beam Reader said...

I love these books, too! I'm up-to-date with the Kane Chronicles (well, the most recent book (#3 Serpent's Shadow) in that series just came out last week and I haven't started it yet, but I do own it) and I'm also up-to-date with the Heroes of Olympus series, which I find to be my favorite so far (although the original Percy Jackson series will always have a special place in my library heart!). The next book in that series comes out in October, I think... can't wait!

I just love how fun & entertaining these books are, while also being educational and informative.

Deb said...

I've gone by these books so many times and wondered when I'm going to read them. I know I'll love them when I do get a chance. Your reveiw was great. I enjoyed hearing about the dual storyline!
Deborah/TheBookishDame

Jenn said...

Adam, it was your enthusiasm for them that finally encouraged me to pick them up, so thank you!

Deb, they are great reads. So much fun and a great re-fresher on the Greek myths.