Monday, March 26, 2012

Jenn's Review: Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy

Summary:  After the excitement of the fall, all Cammie Morgan wants is peaceful semester at school. But that’s easier said than done when you’re a CIA legacy and go to the premier school in the world...for spies.

Despite Cammie's best intentions, trouble crops up quickly.  Cammie, Bex, and Liz learn that the Gallagher Academy is hosting guests from another spy school -- a school that is known to the world as the Ethan Frome Academy--a secret spy school for boys.    After her fiasco with Josh last fall, Cammie isn't sure she's ready for daily encounters with boy spies – especially after she meets Zach -- an incorrigibe cutie who everyone thinks is just perfect.

Cammie is right to be worried about their new guests.  Soon after the boys’ arrival, she's blamed for a series of security breaches that leave the school's top-secret status at risk.  And the perfectly crushable Zach is her prime suspect.

The Gallagher Girls will need to use all their skills to investigate the Frome Boys. Even though they're confident about their guy-spying (as if they haven't done it before!), the playing field is level this time, and the stakes for Cammie’s heart—and her beloved school— are higher than ever.  

Review:  I truly love the Gallagher Girls series, and I'm sorry I waited so long to read it.  I have a few more promised reviews before March goes out like a lamb, but after my last book I needed something light and fun ~Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy fit the bill.

Cammie is done with boys.  And breaking the rules.  And spying on her friends.  That is until she discovers her mother is hiding things from her... and an entire contingent of boys is arriving at their exclusive all girls spy school.  Suddenly everything is more complicated... including getting glammed up for class in the morning.

I love that both Ally Carter and Cammie put the spying for the purpose of a boyfriend behind them.  While it was cute, and necessary foundation for the sophomores, the intrigue of real secrets is far more captivating.  I really wish I had attended the Gallagher Academy... it makes their adventures all the more exciting.  I love the classes they attend!  And the addition of the boys has definitely made things more interesting, are they duplicitous?  Sure, but all boys are.  Is it more important to know whose side are they on or is it more important to be able to take the leap of faith and trust them?

This is a great series, especially for a reluctant reader.  I know I will be revisiting the Gallagher Academy again soon.  I need my dose of spy life...

Final Take: 4.0/5

Share/Bookmark

No comments: