Sunday, October 28, 2007

Book to Movie: In Her Shoes

It's been quite a while since I've read In Her Shoes, but I do tend to watch the movie when my daughter is taking her nap or down for the night. I find that I enjoy the movie everytime I watch it. So since it's been a while since I've read the book it's hard for me to remember the details and do a true comparison.

What I do distinctly remember is being appalled that Cameron Diaz was cast as Maggie. She wasn't who I pictured and I remember seeing the movie in the theatre and going in biased that she was going to mess up the part. Good thing for Cameron shortly into the movie I changed my mind and now I can't picture anyone else as Maggie. The wonderful Toni Collette was cast as Rose Feller and she was perfect in the role. And of course who can forget Shirley McClaine playing their long estranged Grandmother.

What I remember most about the book is identifying with the struggle between two very different sisters. Now I have a younger sister and we are different but we aren't like Rose and Maggie but I could see some sister relationships be that twisted. What mattered in the end though was their relationship with each other and how they came to terms about being different. What they had in common throughtout the whole story was that they wore the same size shoe.

If you've read the book and haven't watched the movie I encourage you to see the movie, you might be pleasantly surprised. Also, if you haven't read the book but you have seen the movie you'll love the book even better. The book in this case is better than the movie but the movie is a pretty good portrayal.

Book to Movie: 4/5

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I'm always leary of books-to-movies, but I have to agree with you, this was very well done.