Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Jenn's Review: Trouble in Spades

Blurb:  Landscaping is Nina Quinn's business, but trouble seems to be her middle name. Saddled with a recently expelled, faithless local–cop husband, a teenaged terror of a stepson, and the yappiest, most unhousebreakable Chihuahua in captivity, Nina needs a respite –– and the backyard makeover she's undertaking for her sister Maria and Nate, Maria's fiance, may do the trick.

But, of course, Nate vanishes mysteriously, and Nina's gardening magic inadvertently turns up a corpse. And with a thief on the prowl who's preying on the neighborhood elderly, a suspicious Pandora's Box of a package arriving on her doorstep, and yet another body inconveniently turning up, Nina's going to have to dig into her community's dirtiest little secrets to regain her peace and sanity –– if she can manage to stay alive long enough to enjoy it

Review:  I have been waiting for the next Lucy Valentine or Wishcraft mystery from Heather Webber/ Heather Blake and missing her writing... until I remembered I still have most of the Nina Quinn books to read!  Hooray!

The Nina Quinn series is a read in a sitting book for me, (as long as I have a sitting in which to read it!).  As usual I love all of Heather Webber's characters.  She has a way of populating her novels without making caricatures of the supporting cast; for example I adore her crazy neighbors.

Nina gets drawn into all of her family's drama and she does it with as much grace as she can muster.  Although I pegged the main culprit  midway through the book, it did not go down the way I thought it would.  There were certain story lines that I was sure I had solved, but in the end, the twists surprised me.

The Nina Quinn series is a light, quick read, but it's always a fun one.  When I need a book I know I will enjoy, Heather Blake/Heather Webber is my go to!

Final Take:  4/5


Share/Bookmark  Google+

2 comments:

Heather Blake Webber said...

This makes me so happy! Thank you!

Jenn said...

You're welcome!

Thanks for being my go to author! :)