Sunday, September 29, 2013

Children's Corner: The Princess Knight

 When my daughter brought home a Cornelia Funke book from the school library, both my husband and I were a little surprised.  My husband knows her from the Inkheart movie, and I from the book as well.  I wasn't a huge fan of Inkheart; I found it cumbersome.  I enjoy the story, but I think some of the magic was lost in translation.  Needless to say, I was very interested to see how her Children's books translate.

I was pleasantly surprised.  Although still rather wordy for a picture book, it worked well.  It is definitely a picture book for the more mature crowd, and that's okay too.

Violetta reminds me of a cross between Merida and The Princess Who Saved Herself (although Violetta came first). Kidlet especially enjoyed it because it reminded her of Merlin, with all the jousting and sword fighting.   My husband and I both appreciated the message.  Next time Kidlet brings home Cornelia Funke, eyebrows won't raise quite so high.




Share/BookmarkGoogle+

No comments: