Sunday, May 5, 2013

Children's Corner: Olivia ...and the Missing Toy

 The other day my daughter asked, "Where's my Olivia book?"

This surprised me, because we haven't watched Olivia in a long time.  I led her to her book case and showed her the several books that are spin offs of the television show, but she said none of them were right... she wanted the black and white one.  I knew immediately what she wanted... the book that used to have a spooky cover... when I told her it was a library book, she said, "But, Mommy, I want to have it to keep."

I was a little amazed.  This is the first time my daughter has ever asked to own something we've borrowed from the library... we own several things we've borrowed from the library, but those were things I thought we enjoyed.  This was the first request from her.

There are a ton of Olivia books out there but this is one of the original books by Ian Falconer that started it all.  I must say, the television show and spin off books are great, but there is nothing quite like the original.  I love the simplicity with which Olivia is portrayed.  To me the television series is through the eyes of an adult, while the Ian Falconer books are through the eyes of the child.  I think that's what my daughter appreciates about it too.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Julie said...

We have a few of the original books and I prefer them to the spin off books.