Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Jenn's Review: A Temptation of Angels

Summary:  Even angels make mistakes in this page-turning epic romance

When her parents are murdered before her eyes, sixteen-year-old Helen Cartwright finds herself launched into an underground London where a mysterious organization called the Dictata controls the balance of good and evil. Helen learns that she is one of three remaining angelic descendants charged with protecting the world's past, present, and future. Unbeknownst to her, she has been trained her whole life to accept this responsibility. Now, as she finds herself torn between the angelic brothers protecting her and the devastatingly handsome childhood friend who wants to destroy her, she must prepare to be brave, to be hunted, and above all to be strong, because temptation will be hard to resist, even for an angel.

Review:  Temptation of Angels has been sitting on my shelf for a while.  I wanted to adore this book and though I liked it, I can't say that I was in love with it.

This book had tons of potential, but it feels like only the surface was scratched.  The story was fairly straight forward with few plot twists.  It was certainly engaging, I often had trouble putting it down, but I wanted more.  I often find angel books confusing in their lack of plot exposition, but such was not the case here.  Although I did think things could have been explored on a deeper level.  I'm actually not sure when this story takes place or if it's in our world.  For example, the clothing and decorum feel Victorian, yet the technology is not, and I'm not sure whether that's because Keepers have access to the past and the future or if it's another dimension.

The characters were fascinating but I wanted to know more about all of them. Helen is confused about her feelings for Griffin and Raum, and while I didn't want her indecision to waiver on indefinitely it all seems too easily resolved while things like climbing a fence seem to go on forever.  Helen also accepted her situation far more readily than I would have, but perhaps that's because she was groomed for it. I also think there is more to Darius and Anna then the perfunctory roles they are relegated to and I hope Michelle Zink explores them further in the next book.

This is a series I am interested in continuing because it has a solid concept and characters with which  I crave familiarity.  It was an easy but compelling read and I look forward to learning more of the Keepers.

Final Take:  3.75/5

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Beth F said...

thanks for joining What's in a Name!