Sunday, November 25, 2012

Children's Corner: Hit The Ball Duck!

Review: A week or so ago was the annual fall Usborne book fair at my son's pre-school. They set it up so you have to pass it on your way in and on your way out. Not only that but they take the kids there to make their wish lists.


Like any great reader, it is impossible for me to resist when my kids request books, so I promptly complied with buying him 3 of them.

One of them that we picked up was Hit the Ball Duck by Jez Alborough. Since my son is sports obsessed it was no surprise that he picked this one up.  This book isn't so much about baseball as it is about learning how to play together.  It's an excellent book about how working as a team can help solve problems and come up with solutions. These are two skills that I think we can't stress enough to kids even with kids as young as 4.

I found myself cracking up at the ending and my son found it fun. The text has a nice cadence to it and typically rhymes so it makes it pretty easy for the kiddo to follow along.  The illustrations are bright and fun. This is a book that we will delight in for a few years to come.

We've also read Some Dogs Do by Mr. Alborough and enjoyed it. So we will definitely be looking out for more of his books. 

 Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My cousin started selling Usborne books so I bought a boxful for Gage. I LOVE their sticker books!