Sunday, September 2, 2012

Children's Corner: The Grizzly Bear with the Frizzly Hair

Review:  The Grizzly Bear with the Frizzly Hair has quickly become my 4 year old son's go to book for the end of our bedtime reading routine. I believe this was a book that was featured on the shelf at our local library and he happened to snatch.

We quickly meet the bear who is crabby and hungry because he's eaten everything in the forest, except for our hero, the rabbit. The rabbit, who knows he's done for, tries everything to get the bear not to eat him. The bear isn't easily pursuaded. After all he is a hungry bear.

My son loves the rabbit. He said he likes the rabbit because he's smart and funny.  I think he's cunning but well that's not saying he isn't smart as well. I think it's a great story for any kid who wants to learn that sometimes you have to think on your feet to make the most out of bad situations.

The illustrations are great. The bear definitely doesn't look cute and cuddley, which he's not. They convey the story perfectly. They are not too scary either because I was afraid of that given that my son is still only 4.

I definitely recommend this book for kids of any ages. My 7 year old daughter even likes it and she's not one for stories about bears (unless they are the Berenstain kind).

The author, Sean Taylor, states that his story is a re-telling of an old folktale that has been around for over 2,000 years. I say he did an excellent time re-telling it.

The Grizzly Bear with the Frizzly Hair will be in my next book order. I know we will continure to read it for years to come.


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like one Gage would like. I love libraries. Saves me lots of money and space in my house :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like one Gage would like. I love libraries. Saves me lots of money and space in my house :)