Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Book to Movie: Water for Elephants

Summary: ACADEMY AWARD® Winners Reese Witherspoon and Christoph Waltz join Robert Pattinson (The Twilight Saga) for this epic tale of forbidden love based on Sara Gruen’s acclaimed best seller. Against all odds, a veterinary student (Pattinson) and a beautiful circus performer from a bygone era (Witherspoon), meet and fall in love through their shared compassion for a special elephant. But their secret romance incurs the wrath of her dangerously volatile husband (Waltz). ~amazon.com

Review: I will admit that the only movie I've seen Robert Pattinson in is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and while he was good as Cedric, I wasn't sure if he could pull the weight of Jacob in Water for Elephants. You see I loved this book (Review) and really didn't want anything ruining it for me. I had a vision of what I wanted their characters to be and well Pattinson wasn't it. I decided to let go of my doubts and just watch the movie.

Nothing will ever be as good as the novel but the movie wasn't the worst adaptation I've seen. Plus,  Mr. Pattinson surprised me. Reese Witherspoon was a vision as Marlena and even if he's always a jerk in the movies I see him in Christoph Waltz was perfect as August. I think it also helps that I read the book years ago so it isn't as fresh in my mind.

I do believe they caught the time period well and the hardship of the depression and belonging to a traveling circus that is always on the brink of failing. August is a cruel man to both his animals and his wife and while the movie captured that, I think that the book detailed it a bit better. The ending is just as dramatic as I remember, even if I can recall the last few pages. It also made me cry, just as the book did.

I don't feel like I wasted 2 hours of my time watching the movie and it has heightened my need to read the book again. If you haven't read the book then I think the movie is a perfect way to want you to read the novel.

Book to Movie Final Take: 3.75/5



Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I was pleasantly surprised with this movie and thought the entire cast did a really good job capturing such an insightful plot. It was nice to see RPatz smile and not be all brooding. I agree that it helped to have some distance between reading the book and watching the movie. It does show that RPatz can act, but Rosie definitely stole the show.