Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Book to Movie: Salem Falls

Summary: Based on the best-selling Jodi Picoult book, former teacher Jack McBradden moves to Salem Falls after a student's crush led to false accusations and a wrongful conviction for sexual assault. He finds a job and settles into a new routine, but everything turns when a trio of teenage girls with dark secrets (lead by manipulative Gillian Duncan) maliciously target Jack with accusations of assaulting Gillian in the woods. Now at the center of a modern day witch-hunt, Jack must once again proclaim his innocence to a town searching for answers and the woman who has come to love him. ~mylifetimemovies.com

Review: Salem Falls is one of my favorite books by Jodi Picoult. I read it before I began blogging or I'd link you to my review. I think why I liked it so much is that the characters were so believable and genuine. Do I remember the details of the book, not really but I remember enough to say that the movie is pretty close to it. I think that's because Ms. Picoult is a Executive Producer on this one. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of James Van Der Beek but I don't dislike him either. He was definitely convincing as Jack and gave an understated performance. Sarah Carter was also excellent as Addie.

I definitely remember disliking Gillian and that doesn't change here either. For me, there was nothing redeeming about her until the end when the big reveal happened. Although even knowing that revelation, I still didn't have much sympathy watching the movie.

The movie is slow-paced and it doesn't really leave a lot of time to develop the relationship between Addie and Jack. You pretty much have to buy into it within 30 minutes. Perhaps this is because most of the viewers will have read the book and it's assumed you know all the background.

I was happy that Lifetime didn't shy away for the taboo subject matters that Salem Falls deals with because they could have easily swept it away.

All in all I enjoyed the movie, but if you haven't read the book, go pick it up. You won't regret it.


Final Take: 3.75/5



Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Any idea why they changed his name to Jack McBradden in the movie?