Sunday, May 8, 2011

Children's Corner: Play Ball, Corduroy

Play Ball, Corduroy Review: This year for Easter we went light on the candy for Easter and the kids got books. My 3 year old son is into any kind of sport he can play so for him I went with a sports theme.

In honor of baseball season, I bought him Play Ball, Corduroy. He's still at the age where "lift the flap books" aren't too baby-ish for him so I knew this would be perfect for him.

The book is cute, sweet and educational. The books starts by helping Corduroy find all the baseball equipment, then he goes off to practice and then the team goes for pizza. Corduroy then finds out that Blue Mouse doesn't think he's any good at baseball so the bear offers to teach him how to play.

I don't think it's ever too young to start to each our children the value of being a good friend, of being helpful and how to be a good sport. In today's society too much is placed on winning and being the best. What happened to good ole fun in sports? Not every kid will be Derek Jeter but every kid can learn how to play sports graciously.

I see us reading this book over and over until the flaps are ripped or torn. I didn't grow up reading Corduroy books but over the last year I've read him often in different situations and I find him almost as cuddly as the other bear I do love...Winnie the Pooh.

Share/Bookmark

No comments: