Friday, September 4, 2009

Movie Review: Julie and Julia

Summary: Julie & Julia is the story of Julie Powell's attempt to revitalize her marriage, restore her ambition, and save her soul by cooking all 524 recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume I, in a period of 365 days. The result is a masterful medley of Bridget Jones' Diary meets Like Water for Chocolate, mixed with a healthy dose of original wit, warmth, and inspiration that sets this memoir apart from most tales of personal redemption. Inspired and encouraging, Julie and Julia is a unique opportunity to join one woman's attempt to change her life, and have a laugh, or ten, along the way. ~amazon.com

Review: I will admit that I'm no chef or even a cook, I pretty much "throw" dinner together. Now my sister, she went to culinary school and is a fantastic cook, as is my mom, so I must have my dad's genes. I had heard the buzz on Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously long before it's arrivals in theaters and will admit I didn't read the blog or the book, but the movie is so incredibly charming. I have no desire to pick up Julia Child's masterpiece of a cookbook/text book, but I'll probably search down a used copy for my sis.

I don't think I've seen a bad movie with Meryl Streep in it and she hits a home run in this role as Julia Child. She doesn't do an imitation of Julia but fully embodies her personality. I'm smelling a Golden Globe for this role for her. What a fascinating life Ms. Child led. The love story between her and Paul is definitely one for the ages and had me googling their story.

I thought Amy Adams was great as Julie Powell, although I so wasn't digging the haircut. I found Julie pleasant and likable enough that when she acted selfish it didn't seem over the top. I mean aren't we all allowed some times of being self-centered. After all, she was trying to find herself and do something with her life. At one point I thought her husband overreacted, he just didn't like her attention on something else besides him.

The food looked mouth watering and it led me to wonder who they hired to make all that delicious food?! I'm sure it was some chef, because I'm thinking a food service company might not be able to handle that, assuming it was really Julia's recipe's they made.

So if you are looking for a solid film with great acting and a couple of great adventures, then Julie and Julia:The Movie, is for you.


Final Take: 4.5/5

5 comments:

Serena said...

I haven't seen this movie yet, but I wanted to read the book first so by the time Anna at Diary of an Eccentric finishes the book, the movie will probably be on DVD or on demand. LOL

Great review.

Laura Schaefer said...

I really enjoyed this movie. It inspired me to purchase a French cookbook. :)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Loved the movie; loved the book :)

Jenn said...

Wanna read the book first too. It's on my food lit list. :)

tinylittlelibrarian said...

I enjoyed both the book and the movie, but was glad there was more about Julia Child in the movie, as I think an all-Julie movie would've been a bit much. I agree about Amy Adams' hair! :)