Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Alice's Review: Catching Fire

Summary: Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

Review:  I have had Catching Fire sitting in my TBR pile since I received it for Christmas nearly 2 years ago.  I read the The Hunger Games and loved it so much I couldn't wait to get to the next one.  Yet once I got it in my hands I just let it lay among its paper friends.  After watching the movie for the 3rd time, I couldn't wait anymore to find what happens next.  Man, this novel blew my mind.

I loved it, loved it.  I didn't know what to expect since I am pretty good at staying away from literary spoilers.  Every page was one shock after another.  I thought it was better than the first, full of unexpected twists and turns.  Ms. Collins took what made The Hunger Games a great success and didn't change it at all. Why fix what isn't broken?

There were so many great things about this novel.  I'm a Peeta fan, so I loved watching how Katniss and Peeta grow closer.  I really don't understand the Katniss/Gale thing.  It's pretty obvious to me they have more of a brother/sister thing.  This novel cements it even more for me.  I love how Katniss matures, how Peeta makes her more vulnerable.

My only complaint is that the ending felt a little rushed, almost as if Ms. Collins had the ending of the series in mind and glossed over the details in order to get onto the third and final novel.

This time no grass grew under my feet before I picking up Mockingjay , the final novel in the series.  I don't want to wait another 2 years before I learn what is the fate of Katniss and my beloved Peeta.

Final Take:  5/5

Share/Bookmark

No comments: