Thursday, August 23, 2007

25% of Americans Don't Read!

According to a recently published poll, 1 in 4 Americans did not read a single book last year. Read more here.

Shocking as these numbers are, I am actually suprised that they aren't much higher. Frankly, I don't buy the whole "there's no time to read" excuse. In 2006, I somehow found the time, amongst other things, to work 2300 hours, watch every episode of all the buzzworthy (and some not) television shows out there, go on a couple of dates, party often with friends and still read 48 books. Yes, I'm a superhuman, I know. Nonreaders are going to have to work much harder to convince me.

While being grateful that the numbers are as low as they are, I can't help but wonder what on earth can be done to reduce it even more?

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Sadly, I have two non-readers in my family. [sigh]

I grew up in neighborhoods that didn't have many kids my age (and sometimes no kids at all) so I started reading as a past time at an early age... I wonder if that made a difference? The ol' "get'em while they're young" mantra has a ring of truth? But beyond that, there must have been something that hooked me or I wouldn't have read over 50 books last year... LOL

Julie said...

Why is this not surprising? I didn't read the article (I will later) but I wonder what age group is the biggest offender?

Unknown said...

I reread the poll and it's just limited to 18+. Additionally the percentage of respondents were spread pretty evenly across the age groups with 65+ having the least # of respondents with 15%. Not very helpful when trying to deterimine who the non-readers are.

Julie said...

Thinking about this last night, it really doesn't surprise me. I would be curious though for those that don't "pick up" a book, do they listen to them in the car on their way to work? I know my boss does that and it really helps her commute and she finishes a book a week.

Unknown said...

Maybe I'm just a reading snob, but I always consider audiobooks a huge copout unless you are physically incapable. Having someone read to you is nowhere near close to reading it or yourself.

Julie said...

I can see that but there's some books that are just hard to read but better when someone reads them to you. Plus that's how we all learned to read at first by having our parents read to us. My sister listened to The Kite Runner on CD and it was read by the author. She said having him read it made it seem more real and of course the pronounciation of the words was easier to understand. :)