Friday, August 17, 2007

Lisa's Review: She Creeps

So first up for me is She Creeps, by Alex Hairston.

Summary
You Live, You Love -- Naomi Gaffney was only eight-years-old the day they found her Momma's body -- and a part of her died too. Then the police took her daddy away. It wasn't enough that he was already one of the most hated men in Eden, North Carolina. Now he was also labeled a murderer. Twenty-one years later, Naomi's father remains in jail, and she's still not sure if he's guilty of a crime of passion, or if he's simply an innocent victim of southern justice. In fact, there isn't much Naomi is sure about these days...

And If You're Smart, You Learn... & Raised by a cruel aunt, Naomi married young to escape her bitter household. But all she got was more heartache with her controlling husband. She knows she's too smart and pretty to waste away in a dead small town. Naomi yearns to feel alive once again. Her childhood taught her that adultery can be deadly, but when a handsome young man offers her everything she craves, Naomi finds that some lessons are more easily learned than others...

My Review
Sounds and looks interesting doesn't it? Well ...I've been told that if you can't say something nice say nothing at all... Well I can say something nice.

Nice Thing:
The climax of the book was unexpected.

Not-so-nice Things:
This is a just a tedious book, it took me 10 days to read it. It does not take me 10 days to read 300 pages. The dialogue was drawn out and oftentimes unnecessary. The majority of it was filler, meaningless exposition. The characters are stereotypically ignorant and speak that way. They were not well developed. I did not believe them. I spent half my time staring out of the window on the train or rolling my eyes at a passage. Some of the scenarios were extremely unrealistic. This was neither character driven, nor plot-driven and ultimately I found myself wishing for my money and my time back. The only reason, I didn't put this down because I always try to finish what I start. Only once or twice have I ever stopped reading a book. I suspect Mr. Hairston can do better as this is his third book. This, however, was not a good showing and unless I get an absolutely fantastic recommendation next time, I will think long and hard about purchasing another of his books.


Final Take - 1.5/5

3 comments:

Julie said...

So basically your not recommending it. :) Did you find they were sterotyping the characters? And since the title is She Creeps...was it about cheating?

Unknown said...

Basically. You asked some interesting questions and I have updated my post to answer somewhat. Yes the characters are sterotypical and it's supposed to be about cheating, but it's not really.

thePearlMag said...

Damn... It was sounding real interesting from the description.
Then I read your review, lol.

Nevermind

LOve,Gabby
thePearlMag.com