Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Julie's Review: Walking Disaster


Author: Jamie McGuire
Series: Beautiful #2
Publication Date: April 30, 2013
Publisher: Atria Books
Hours:11 hours
Obtained: Audible
Genre:  Contemporary Fiction, Romance
Rating: 3/5
Bottom Line: Interesting to get another point of view, but doesn't change my mind about the story.
Grab, Just get it at the library, or Remove from your TBR list? Library
Summary: Can you love someone too much? Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder. In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees. Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now its time to see the story through Travis' eyes. ~powells.com

Review: I wouldn't say this is a sequel to Beautiful Disaster as much as it is Travis' point of view of the events in the former book. Walking Disaster doesn't give us readers any new material except now we know how much he was in love with Abby. We kind of understand what makes him tick, but I still think he's a little off kilter. Abby isn't much better though his eyes either. It is more clear in this version that she isn't sure what she wants for most of the time and does indeed lead him on for a bit. Although I'm not sure he would want it any other way. I think he liked the chase.

I'm not sure these books are something I would recommend to an impresionable young woman. Travis has too much of a violent streak for my taste. Sure, do you want your boyfriend to fight for you, yes; but do you want him to be psycho about it? No.

Shep and America drove me even more nuts this time than in the first book. I'm not sure what it is about them but I find them annoying. I did enjoy finding out more about Travis' family and how deeply his mother's death did affect him even though he was a young boy. He's been angry about her death for so long and Abby is the first person he's let get anywhere near his emotions.

While I appreciated Travis' viewpoint, it doesn't really change my mind about him or their relationship. I don't think I need to go any further in the series.

Share/BookmarkGoogle+

No comments: