Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Armchair BEA: More than Just Words


When I saw the topic for today what immediately came to mind is The Invention of Hugo Cabret.  I'm sure I won't be the only one to bring it up in this context but it is such an amazing piece I couldn't let the opportunity to share it pass.

If you've seen the movie Hugo, which is wonderful, it can't even begin to do justice to this magnificent work of art. This is a concept book, part picture book, part graphic novel, with almost 300 pages of original art work, photographs, and film stills. It's fantastical and enchanting, and you never know what turning the page may bring.  Parts of the story are told through pictures and some through prose; some pages are filled with drawings; some pages are almost blank save for a paragraph on them.  The pictures progress the story at times better than the words.  The plot is mysterious while not being overly complicated, and it is full of scope for the imagination with automata and gears and magic... Not only is the story amazing, and incredibly well researched, but Brian Selznick's artwork is fabulous. 

Wonderstruck, Brian Selznick's follow up piece, is sitting on my shelf begging to be read, but I've been saving it to read with my daughter so that we may discover its the magic together.  I highly recommend this to anyone, not just readers of YA or MG. It is truly an experience not to be missed. 


Share/BookmarkGoogle+

4 comments:

Tellulah Darling said...

Agreed! It's a phenomenal book. I remember the experience was more like watching a movie, it was so visual.

Allison Bruning said...

I absolutely agree. I read the book and then tried to watch the movie. I say try because I felt the movie didn't do the book any justice.

fredamans said...

I'll have to check it out, thanks.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that was also a book! I loved the movie, and I'm so happy to hear it was based on a book. It sounds absolutely amazing :D Thanks for the recommendation