Sunday, July 14, 2013

Children's Corner: Leonardo, the Terrible Monster

Review: Yes, yes, yes it's another Mo Willems book. Sorry, I just can't help it. The last time my son and I were at the library we immediately went to the W section to seek out some of his books. Low and behold there was one I hadn't yet heard of Leonardo, the Terrible Monster. Of course my 5 year old said yes to bring it home with us for 3 weeks. I couldn't resist. Well for the past few days it has been in our steady rotation of 3-4 books before bed.

 Leonardo, the Terrible Monster is a quick and delightful read. We meet Leonardo who isn't really good at scaring people. Frankly, other than his horns, he's not so scary looking. He decides to find someone who will be the perfect kid to scare. Of course, it doesn't go as planned and Leonardo still doesn't end up scaring someone. Instead he befriends the kid he was trying to scare.

On the very simplest terms, it's about choosing how you want to act and react in situations. It's about learning to be a friend. My son and I talk about what it means to be a friend after we read the book. Mo Willems as always does a great job writing a book that both kids and adults will like with the opportunity for simple discussions.

 I'm sure we will be reading this one again tonight.


 Share/BookmarkGoogle+

No comments: