Monday, August 13, 2012

Jenn's Review: Glass Houses

Summary:  College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood. ~blurb

Review:  The Morganville Vampire series has been on my TBR list for a while.  I'd heard lots of good things about it and have been looking forward to starting Glass Houses. I was sorely disappointed.

The premise has promise, but I felt like it was never fully fleshed out and I just couldn't buy into it.  It all seemed superficial and underdeveloped. The characters were two dimensional as well and I just couldn't connect with them.  Claire was a stereotypical smart girl with no common sense. Michael's secret was not hard to discover.  Shane seems to be two different characters. And Eve?  Her character could have been fascinating, but never seemed to go anywhere.  I was hoping to get something interesting from the vampires, but they were just spooky monsters in the night.  No situation seemed fought with peril, they were all easily escaped and everything resolved without much effort.  Even the romantic attachments seemed forced.  I kept pushing forward in hopes that things would get interesting, but they never did. The final few pages were just bizarre and left things on a huge clifff hanger. Usually, that would fill me with angst, but I'm not even interested enough to seek out the resolution.  

Obviously, there is some merit or there wouldn't be 12 books in the internationally best selling series.  I'm just not seeing what the attraction is.  I really wanted to love it, but I just couldn't seem to get attached.  If, I'm wrong, let me know (nicely!) because I'd like to understand what I'm missing.  I can honestly say, I don't think I will be reading Rachael Caine again. 

Final Take:  2.75/5

Share/Bookmark

No comments: