Monday, August 15, 2011

Jenn's Review: The Iron Queen

The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen)Summary:  In less than twenty-four hours I'll be seventeen.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.

Review:  Wow.  Just, wow.  Julie Kagawa has done it with this one.  It is fabulous.  She's won me over completely.  And what's more, I finally like Meghan Chase.

I commented on my review of The Iron Daughter that I just wanted Meghan to become more... anything.  Well, she became more everything.  No longer the meek girl who stepped into Faery over a year ago, Meghan has finally learned to take charge and there is no standing in her way.  She learns to make the tough decisions, and I love her for it.  Though at times she still needs to be coaxed out of her shell and to have the obvious explained to her, she wouldn't be Meghan if she didn't, she's grown.


While there were some twists I saw coming, there were some I was only betting on, and some that took me completely by surprise.  Julie Kagawa has a superb imagination and has created her own realms from mythology and faery tales that are unique and ever expanding.  The concept behind these books is brilliant.  The very detail that made The Iron King a bit plodding at the beginning is what carries her writing through the series.

I can tell this is one of those series that I am going to love going back and re-reading with new perspective and discovering new bits along the way.  I may have the short e-story Summer's Crossing to tide me over but that won't hold me for long.  Netgalley has The Iron Knight available for review and after reading The Iron Daughter, I was perfectly content to wait until it came out on October 25th, but no more.  I have already put in my request for review.  The Iron Queen is, by far, my favorite of the series and I can't wait to see how The Iron Fey ends. 

Final Take:  4.75/5.0

My Review of The Iron King
My Review of The Iron Daughter
Share/Bookmark

No comments: