Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Julie's Review: Mission Canyon

Summary: After a hit-and-run accident leaves a friend dead, Evan Delaney wants justice. But she underestimates the power of the person responsible. When the witnesses begin dying one by one, Evan is unprepared for the dark places retribution will take her. ~amazon.com

Review: From the description, I thought this was a flashback to Jesse's accident that left him in a wheelchair. It's not. I takes place after China Lake but it deals with Jesse's accident and what happened. Mission Canyon: An Evan Delaney Novel is a solid thriller and entry into the Evan Delaney Series.

Evan always seems to find trouble or does trouble find her? Regardless, she does manage to find her way out of it by using her brain. This one like China Lake, is intensely personal for Evan. The man who paralyzed Jesse, killed his friend Issac is back in town and Jesse is looking for justice. Of course things are never so easy and never so black and white.

The book has a ton of interesting characters and by interesting I mean shady and slimy. It's about cover ups, fraud and greed. It's about having your vices used against you. It's about your past coming back to haunt you and affecting your present day life.

I can't give too much away otherwise,you won't want to pick it up and read it for yourself. I will say that I'm still not sold on Jesse Blackburn. I understand he had a major life altering accident but I have a feeling his attitude was the same before this happened to him. Some of the things he says to Evan in the course of the book are rude, hurtful and untrue. I think it's some of his own insecurities coming through and he takes it out on her.

There are some great twists and turns in the book. My favorite addition of characters are the CIA agents, or are they CIA agents? I really do hope to see them back in a future Evan Delaney novel.

All in all, this is a great 2nd novel in what I think is a brilliantly written series.

Final Take: 4/5

No comments: