Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Book & Movie: Bridget Jones The Edge of Reason

I have always thought this movie falls a little short in comparison to it's prequel, but I now have a whole new appreciation for it! Julie was absolutely right, this book is fantastic. The episode in Bangkok (featured in the film) is just a sliver of the mess Bridget has gotten into this time. While I do appreciate the added drama of Daniel vs Mark in the movie (who doesn't appreciate a little extra Colin Firth and Hugh Grant, eh?), the book has a more realistic scenario with one of Bridget's 'frenemies' making a play for an oblivious Mark. Bridget's mother continues to get into trouble too, keeping everyone on their toes. The only part of the book that was really odd for me was when Bridget is interviewing Colin Firth, as I always picture him as Mark Darcy, it was a bit jarring on the imagination to say the least.


Whereas it didn't seem to make much of a difference whether you read before you watched with the first movie, I think it makes a world of difference with the second one! This book truly made me appreciate the movie on an entirely new level. Time for a Bridget Jones Marathon! (The rumored third movie has a date of 2011 on imdb.com; I'll have to keep an eye on it...)

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm really hoping all the same characters (and actors) are back for BJD 3. It wouldn't be the same without the original cast.

I'm glad you enjoyed the book!! :)