Sunday, May 10, 2009

Julie's Review: Triple Cross

Summary: The Jefferson Club is a remote, private resort for the super-rich – the buildings, the amenities, and the security are state of the art and beyond compare. Many of the world’s wealthiest people – business leaders, entrepreneurs, politicians, celebrities – gather for the most exclusive New Year’s Eve party in the world. As expensive champagne flows and multibillion dollar deals are arranged, the unimaginable happens – a highly trained, heavily armed paramilitary force calling itself the Third Position Army breaches the world’s best security system and takes everybody hostage.
“Mickey” Hennessey, former U.S. Special Agent, is the head of security for the Jefferson Club. A divorced father of three teenagers, he’s spending the holiday with his kids. When the club is attacked, his entire team is wiped out and only he makes it out of the club alive. Now he’s outside while his kids are trapped inside, hostages of the Third Position Army who are putting seven of the ten richest men on “trial” for their crimes against humanity, live on the internet for the world to see. While a top FBI rescue team works feverishly to rescue all the hostages, Hennessey is determined to do all he can, to overcome every obstacle, to ensure his children’s safety – or die trying. ~St. Martin's Press.com

Review: I was lucky enough to get Triple Cross from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers club in February but given my huge pile, I was just now able to get to it. Triple Cross is an exciting adventure/action/thriller book. I was definitely not disappointed by this book. The book starts off with a bang and never lets up. I really enjoyed the main characters even if you pretty much knew off the bat that Mickey and Cheyenne were going to hook up. Now I don't mind a romantic hook up in a book, but in this situation I really don't think it was completely necessary. That being said, I LOVED the triplets. I thought they had a lot of heart, moxy and guts for being 14 years old. I don't know if I could have done what they did when I was 14. I don't know if I was that brave. I didn't have a hard time picturing the Jefferson Club in my mind. I just pictured the most decadent hotel/spa I could imagine tucked away in the mountains of Montana.

I've stated before that I don't like politics shoved down my throat from either side of the views, but this book didn't do that even though it did have a political slant to it. Now I didn't agree with the way the Third Position Army went about making their point, but wouldn't it be interesting and scary to know what companies and politician were truly made of? That's what this book does. It exposes corporate greed and political corruption, or does it? There is quite an interesting twist at the end of the book about the true motive behind the mastermind of the takeover.

There really isn't a boring page in the book, even if I kind of figured out early on that one of the main characters was involved. Although I don't think the author really meant to keep it a secret either.

If you are looking for a fast-paced thriller with well developed characters, check out Triple Cross. It's an interesting look at today's society and capitalism.

Final Take: 3.75/5

No comments: