Sunday, April 19, 2009

To Re-Read or Not to Re-Read? That Is The Question.

I went to see a movie Friday night and I saw two trailers for movie adaptaions of popular novels. I have a love hate relationship with movie adaptions, as I am sure most avid readers do, and I struggle with whether to see a movie that's been adapted from a novel. I often struggle with something else - whether to re-read the book before going to see a movie, or not. It's a big investment of time to re-read a book and lately I haven't a lot of time to keep up with and read the things I usually want to (I still have no idea what Stephanie was up to in Fearless Fourteen). With 5 major adaptations coming to the theatre this year, I am seriously wondering whether to invest the time. For some I already know the answer to this question, but for others, I still really don't know. Perhaps you all could offer up an opinion?

The Books/Movies

Angels & Demons
(May 15) - I vaguely remember the plot of this book. Yeah, I remember the big themes, the ending and I absolutely remember this book being really good, however the details completely escape me. Knowing what I know about adaptations in general and remembering how extremely pissed off I was at the cop-out that was The DaVinci Code movie, I wonder if a re-read is warranted?

My Sister's Keeper
(June 26) - This was one of the trailers I saw the other night and I can already tell you there are departures from the book. I still believe this will be a major tearjerker, though, that's not my issue. This book was so very good and so heartbreaking that I knew when I was done that I couldn't never read this book again. I want to, but I'm not sure I can.

The Lovely Bones
(December 11) - Umm, I haven't read this yet, so I guess I'll be reading it.

The Time Traveler's Wife
(August 14th) - Have you read this book yet? Seriously, this is a must read. I read it when it first came out, and like Angels and Demons I can't recall a lot of the details. I have some serious love for this novel, so I really won't mind another visit.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
(July 15) - There's no question. Oh wait! Just one - Have you seen the new trailer?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm big into movies and especially more recently adaptations. I remember seeing the DaVinci Code right after reading the book and was disappointed in how much they left out. I would vote for watching the movie first on this and then if you want to re-read afterwards. And I think because the Lovely Bones doesn't come out until December you would have plenty of time to read the book and maybe even let it sit so it's not so fresh in your mind before seeing the movie. But you should for sure read the book. It's amazing as well.

Mari said...

I have read all the books for these movies except My Sister's Keeper. Time Traveler's Wife and HP are definitely the best of the bunch. :)

Jenn said...

I was just thinking the other day about starting to re-read HP. I miss them. It's time for the annual re-read.

I loved Angels & Demons but I probably won't re-read it before seeing it on screen because I too was severely disappointed by the adaptation of DaVinci Code so a little distance will be good on this one.

So, I guess I'd say re-read HP (it's like visiting friends), but maybe get some distance on the others.

Julie said...

I'm not a re-reader for the most part and especially before the movie adaptation comes out. I LOVED My Sister's Keeper and just don't see Cameron Diaz as the mom, so while I'll see it, I'm not looking to get the same thing out of the movie as I did the book.

I couldn't read Angels and Demons. After the DaVinci Code, it was a let down for me plus I was pregnant.

Jenn said...

Oh, and that new trailer? ROCKS!!!

Jenn said...

Hmmm, I liked Angels & Demons better than DaVici Code... you should try it not-pregnant, Jules :)

Julie said...

Kris enjoyed it, which since he doesn't read novels is tempting. I think I'll just see the movie. He actually finished the book when I was in the ER with high blood pressure after having Nyah. :)

Serena said...

I loved the book The Lovely Bones, I'm still on the fence about the movie. I have Angels & Demons, but have not read it yet.