Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Julie's Review: Faith and Honor

Colonial Boston churns with rebellion with every patriot addressing the cause of freedom through thought and deed. Persistent in her own dedication to the struggle for independence, Faith Ashley is no exception. Rescued from the harassment of British officers by Fletcher Irons, the young widow finds herself attracted to him and confused by emotions long held in abeyance. In their initial meeting Fletcher appears to be merely another of Boston's citizens on his way home; however, his secrets are soon revealed. When war erupts in the first battles of the Revolution, Faith is torn between her loyalty to the cause and her love for this man who is far more than he seems. All of Faith's strength and courage is put to the test to remain true not only to herself and to her country, but to the man whose destiny rests with her own. ~amazon.com

Julie's Review: When I received the summary of Faith and Honor from Tracee at Pump Up Your Book Promotion, it sounded right up my alley especially since I'm on a historical fiction kick. At first I had a hard time keep the Whigs and the Lobster's straight since it's been a great many years since I've had Revolutionary War history but I was able to muddle through it. While this book wasn't exactly up my alley, I didn't mind reading it.

Faith is a widow who lost her husband 3 years ago. She's on her way home from her father's house to Boston when she meets Fletcher Irons. The sparks fly between them but she's not ready to be attracted to a complete stranger. Faith finds out that Fletcher isn't exactly what she thought he was and she doesn't know how to handle it. She's offered marriage by an older man who is a family friend and turns him down. Now here is where I think that the story went array. I think she would have accepted the offer of marriage since I believe that is what was expected and what happened in that time period.

Needless to say, she and Fletcher can't resist their attraction to each other and act on it. This complicates things because while "love conquers all" it is hard in times of war, especially when you re on the opposite sides.

I didn't particularly like Faith. I thought she was a bit self-aborbed, arrogant and childish. I do realize that there were strong, independent women in every decade but I didn't subscribe to it with her. While women did work towards the resistance of the British forces, I think most of them did so by aiding their husbands. I thought that maybe she was too much ahead of her time.

I did enjoy reading about a fictionalized Rachel Revere, who was the wife of the very famous Paul Revere and how she and Faith were friends.

If this kind of historical fiction is your taste, please click on Robin Maderich to purchase an autographed copy.

Final Take: 3/5

1 comment:

Robin Maderich said...

Julie, hi. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Faith and Honor, but I certainly appreciate that you took the time to read and review it!

Robin Maderich