Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Food-Lit???

I noticed that I seem to have a new passion. I love books and I love to cook so I don't know why it surprises me that I love them together. No, I'm not talking about cook books, or even non-fiction books by chefs. Food has always played a central role in fiction, but this is something new. According to Answers.com, there is an emerging trend in American literature of 'Food and Social Healing.' I'm talking about books like those by Sarah Addison Allen, Nancy Spiller, Erica Bauermeister, etc. Books that take food to a whole new level. Not food playing a central role in the novel, but food as the novel. Food that transforms relationships and lives.

Did it all stem from Frances Mayes's Under the Tuscan Sun? Was that the inspiration for this sudden flood of delicious goodness? I don't know. (Although that wasn't quite fiction... well, the movie was but I'm digressing. )

I don't know whether there's a name for this genre or not, but I'm going to call it Food-Lit. ~And I'm loving it!

"Since people first put ink to parchment, food has proven an inspiration, a plot device, a method of revealing character in poetry and literature. "
~Marina Gordon

If anyone has any thoughts on this, be sure to chime in.

7 comments:

Julie said...

Jenn - On my Amazon.com wish list is Comfort Food by Kate Jacobs, you should check it out. I think it's right up your alley. It's probably why my sister (the chef trained Project Accountant) loves Sarah's books.

I've noticed it as a newer trend in books. I think cooking can be healing as well which leads well into fiction books.

Mari said...

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel would be perfect for you. :)

Jenn said...

Adding them to my wish list immediately! Thanks for the suggestions!

Unknown said...

ehhh you made me hungry! hehe

Keris Stainton said...

I really loved Robin Gold's The Perfectly True Tales of a Perfect Size 12. About a TV chef.

Serena said...

I love reading books that have food in a central role! I loved my most recent read, Deep Dish! If you are looking for other one, try that one.

Jenn said...

Wow! Thanks everyone! Keep 'em coming.