Monday, March 31, 2008

Book to Movie: The Nanny Diaries

Photobucket To be fair it's been ages since I've read The Nanny Diaries: A Novel but it seemed like the movie was pretty close to the book. I'm not a big Scarlet Johanssen fan (I think she's overrated) but she did Annie/Nannie justice. I enjoyed watching Laura Linney as Mrs. X and even more surprising to me was Paul Giammanti as Mr. X (I watched him more recently in The Illusionist). The little boy who played Grayer/Grover was adorable and it broke my heart when Mrs. X sent Annie away and he chased the car. I enjoyed seeing Alicia Keys on the big screen again as Annie's friend Lynette.

What I found pretty clever was how they worked in the Museum of Natural History into the opening credits as part of a display on societies of New York. I found that intriguing and humorous. As with all chick lit books and movies, it had a happy ending and I have to say I was happy to see her end up with "Harvard hottie". Someone needs to give Chris Evans more movie roles!!

Final Take Book to Movie: 3/5

Related: Lisa's Movie Review

9 comments:

Jeane said...

I seem to remember Nanny Diaries being more depressing that happy ending; is the ending different in the film?

Julie said...

She was fired but she ended up with Harvard Hottie aka Hayden and was looking into going back to school for anthropology. So I thought it ended happily. Oh and she got a letter from Mrs. X saying thank you for her insight through the nanny cam.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I liked the ending in the film much more. Oh, and I didn't even know that was Alicia Keys!

Julie said...

I'm all for happy endings in movies,although sometimes it seems false depending on the movie.

Amy said...

I was really disappointed they made it a happy ending because it sort of cheapened the whole story in my opinion. but it was still a fun movie.

Amy said...

I was really disappointed they made it a happy ending because it sort of cheapened the whole story in my opinion. but it was still a fun movie.

Julie said...

Refresh my memory...how did the book end?

Amy said...

Sorry, it took me awhile to check back here!

She erased her message on the nanny cam and pretty much left the situation as it was...there was no joyful discovering on the mom's part of how lucky she was to have a son...which in my opinion, is probably more true to life and packs a greater punch to the story. I still did like the movie, though. It would take guts to not have a happy ending in a movie like that. ;)

Julie said...

Thanks Amy!!