Sunday, September 16, 2007

Jenn's Review: Eclipse

Summary:
As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob --- knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which?


Review: Death or Death-by-Immortality is perhaps the bigger question...

It's been more than a week since I finished this book and I hoped that in that time I would gain a little perspective on it. I've read and re-read bits and pieces of it, but I'm still torn in my opinion of it.

As an adult, former teacher, and soon-to-be-parent, I'm struggling with the message of this book... it was in the corner of my mind nagging me a little while reading New Moon and I set it aside, but I'm afraid I cannot ignore it any longer. Yes, as a purist, I understand the axiom "true love conquers all" but at what cost? To what end?

Then, I must think of it as a novel for the sake of a novel. Would I have such an issue with this is if weren't labeled young adult? I think the answer here is 'no.' As a whole this was a well written book, showing the most maturity in writing styles of the three, and it was a solid plot. There were times where I actually felt a little bogged down in the plot exposition, which is unusual for Meyer. The struggle to choose a path when the heart is divided, adversaries as allies... all told in a sensual manner - very compelling.

Meyer left the end of this one open, and there is a fourth book planned. I'm not sure where Meyer will go from here, but I am interested to find out.

Overall Rating: 4.7/5

No comments: