Friday, July 29, 2011

Julie's Review: The Wild Rose

The Wild Rose Summary: London, 1914. World War I is looming on the horizon, women are fighting for the right to vote, and global explorers are pushing the limits of endurance in the most forbidding corners of the earth. In this volatile time, the sweeping, multi-generational saga that spanned The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose continues. With myriad twists and turns, thrilling cliffhangers, fabulous period detail and a large cast of vivid characters (some new, some familiar), The Wild Rose provides an exhilarating and satisfying conclusion to an unforgettable trilogy. ~JenniferDonnelly.com

Julie's Review: I have been waiting 2+ years for The Wild Rose. Sometimes patiently and sometimes not. As soon as it was available for pre-order; it was ordered.

The Wild Rose does not disappoint this fan of the trilogy. It was everything I could have hoped for and perhaps a bit more. Ms. Donnelly does a remarkable job of bringing back the beloved characters from The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose with relevant story lines. She also added in several new characters that rounded out the story and were well developed.

The final novel focuses on the youngest brother in the Finnegan clan, Seamus or Seamie. Seamie is an explorer who helped founded the South Pole. So he's a bit famous and of course he's utterly handsome. Seamie has been in love with Willa Alden since they were teenagers but that relationship was stopped abruptly when an accident befalls Willa. They might be torn apart by circumstances but their hearts still long for one another.

The Wild Rose is set against the backdrop of the entry of England into World War I with Germany and then the long war. It shifts back and forth between Europe, Arabia, Africa and the Far East. Ms. Donnelly writes these locations with ease because they come alive on the pages. Not only is World War I predominant but so is the Suffrage movement. This is where Fiona and Joe Bristow are reintroduced. Fiona supports the non-violent movement to get women the right to vote and to serve in Parliament. Ms. Donnelly also brings back Sid and India during a vital part of the novel as well.

Obviously, I'm not going to giveaway major aspects of the book because that wouldn't be fair. The book offers something for everyone: history, romance, war and politics. I loved every aspect! The characters are well developed and intriguing. There is a good vs. evil element, but who is good or evil isn't as clear. It's ambiguous and keeps your mind sharp for the details.

It evident again that Ms. Donnelly does her homework when it comes to research. The amount of detail given for both the war and the suffrage movement is monumental and well executed.

This has been one of my favorite trilogies. For a long time after reading the books, the characters would jump into my head again just so I wouldn't forget them. I don't think I'll ever be able to forget these characters. In fact, at some point I will re-read them and it won't be that far into the future.

If you are looking for three historical fiction books to sink your teeth into then I urge you to pick up The Tea Rose, The Winter Rose, and now The Wild Rose

I am sorry to see the stories of these characters end, but I'm extremely grateful that I found them.

The Wild Rose will be released by Hyperion/Voice on August 2, 2011!

Final Take: 5/5


Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

I love historical fiction although I've never read any from this author before. Sounds like a great trilogy! Thanks for the heads up!

Jennifer Donnelly said...

Thank you so much for the lovely review, Julie! I'm so glad to know that you've enjoyed the Rose books, and I hope your readers do, too!

Jennifer

Amy @ bookgoonie said...

So excited about this review, because I recently bought Winter Rose. But yikes, just realized I need to find Tea Rose 1st.