Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Book to Movie: Twilight

Okay, it took way too long for me to get around to seeing this movie. I really wanted to see it on the big screen, but it just didn't happen. Luckily, I received the DVD as part of my Mother's Day gift!

I think this is one of the few instances where the movie really sticks close to the book. That's not to say that things aren't left out; obviously it needs to be trimmed down to make the big screen. Unfortunately a lot of what has gotten cut are all the enchanting, lovely scenes between Bella and Edward that help build their relationship. As a result Bella comes off as a love crazed teenager and Edward a slightly scary stalker. I know that's how critics of the Twilight series see them anyway, but truly, that's not how Ms. Meyer wrote them.

As far as casting is concerned, Cedric, I mean Robert Pattinson, is the perfect Edward. He's dark, handsome, and mysterious. On the other hand, Kristen Stewart is just not how I envision Bella; I thought that when the trailers first started to circulate, and I still think that after seeing the movie. It's not that her acting is bad... I don't know, maybe it's just the way the screen play was written, she's just a little off to me. Charlie isn't quite what I imagined either, but there really isn't enough of the other characters in the movie to really put forth much of an opinion. I kind of missed the stories that belong with the supporting characters, but I understand why they were cut in the grand scheme of things. Really, scenes of Edward and Bella getting to know each other were the far more valuable loss, with perhaps the exception being that of Rosalie's back story. Rosalie comes off rather incomprehensible without a little plot exposition.

That brings me to the story itself. As I mentioned, I think this is a fairly accurate translation from book, but I find it a dark, brooding interpretation of Meyer's story. This is helped along by cinematography that makes the entire movie seem gloomy. I know that Fork's is supposed to be a gray, rainy, dreary place, but the pervasive blue lighting was overkill in my opinion. Even my husband, who knew nothing of the story and only caught a few minutes here and there of the movie, mentioned it. I realize it was done for effect, but it was too much.

All in all, I am glad I own the movie; I'll certainly watch it again. It's an important part of the Twilight saga. I look forward to the next movie but I hope they do a little re-tooling of their approach (the next leg of the story is difficult enough). Do I recommend you see it before you read it? No, you might find it off-putting. If you haven't read it but saw it and liked it, by all means go back and read it; it's far more fascinating on the page.

3.75/5

What did you think???

My Review of the novel: Twilight

6 comments:

Julie said...

Still no desire on my party a) read the books or b) see the movie. For whatever reason it just does not appeal to me. Unlike. H.P. you won't convince me otherwise. :)

Jenn said...

It's very different than HP and it's either something you like or something you don't.

The novels are a great epic love story, if you like vampire/beauty-and-the-beast type things. :)

Julie said...

Yeah I don't think they are up my alley. :) I do love Beauty and the Beast though.

Serena said...

I think Anna at Diary of an Eccentric, The Girl, and I have watched this movie about 5 times. I do miss some of the bits that were cut out to make the movie....what did you think of Jasper?

Jenn said...

Not enough of him, and they totally skipped over his abilities. I think in general the Cullens were well cast, but under-used. (Although I kept thinking of Elizabeth Reaser as the crazy chick from Grey's Anatomy.)

I was actually surprised when I heard Twilight was going to be made into a movie; I didn't think it would translate all that well to film. I think it went better than I expected. I will totally watch it again (I'm glad I own it) I just think it could've been better. The last HP movie cut tons of stuff, but it really captured the essence of it; this just didn't have the same feel as the book, for me.

Jenn said...

In re-reading Meyer always talks about how GREEN Forks is, not how blue-grey it is...