Saturday, September 1, 2007

Jenn's Review: Twilight

Summary: book jacket
When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.
What Bella doesn't realize is the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And it might be too late to turn back....

Review:
This is a young adult series that I'm starting to hear a little buzz about, so I decided it was time to check it out for myself. My initial reaction to Meyer's writing style is that it is slightly pedestrian, but of course I'm coming off of having just re-read the entire JK Rowling series a few months ago, so maybe I'm subconsciously making an unfair comparison.

Meyer's preface takes you to the end of her novel, near the climax, before she returns to the beginning in her first few chapters to give you the plot exposition and character introduction. While it's been a while since I've read a book that is in the first person of a high school student who wasn't attending Hogwarts, I found she came up with a very likable main character with whom it is easy to identify. Her minor characters, and this is where I feel I might be a little unfair in comparison, are a little underdeveloped for my tastes. She takes her time with her exposition, and I wish she'd been able to encompass more than just surface interaction with her surrounding characters. Then again, Bella is in high school, so a lot of her interaction is on the surface.

I knew where the story was headed, it's clearly stated on the back of the book ("About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him –and I didn't know how dominant that part might be– that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.") so it was almost a little frustrating that it took six chapters of exposition to get us there. If it wasn't for Meyer's blurb on the back and her foray into the future in the preface, a less seasoned reader might be tempted to put the book down before it gets going.

Ah, but then it gets going, and all is forgiven. Her main characters are enchanting, no enthralling. Girl-meets-Vampire and they fall hopelessly in love is nothing new to those who are familiar with Buffy lore, but here Meyers gives it an original spin that is both refreshing and inviting. This is no slayer, but a mere mortal girl who recognizes things, humans, and vampires for what they are without question. Edward, the non-human feeding vampire, has a centuries worth of wisdom and a conscience that is endearing. In the end it is Bella's honest acceptance and altruism (beyond her seemingly delectable aroma) that continue to draw Edward to her, though he is aware of how impossible their relationship continues to become.

There is just the right mix of danger and romance... and even a little humor. Meyer leave you thirsting for more adventures for Bella and Edward, whether they be in this realm or the next...

I look forward to continuing this series.

Overall Rating: 4.6/5

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What an absolutely fantastic review, Jenn! I've been hearign about this series now that the 3rd one is out and your review makes me want to read them.

Julie said...

The daughter of the lady that takes care of my daughter reads these and loves them. When I told her the 3rd book was out she was so excited.

I wasn't a Buffy or Angel fan but am a fan of Dracula. I'm not sure about YA books but I did love the Harry Potter Series, although I think that is quite unusual.

One of these days I will get around to reading these.

Are there going to be more than 3 books?