Thursday, August 25, 2022

Julie's Review: Wrong Place Wrong Time

Author: Gillian McAllister
Series: None
Publication Date:  August 2, 2022
Publisher: William Morrow
Pages: 411
Obtained: Amazon First
Genre:  Psychological Thriller
Rating: 5/5
Bottom Line: Twists and turns around all the corners
Grab, Just get it at the library, or Remove from your TBR list? Grab

Summary: Can you stop a murder after it’s already happened? Late October. After midnight. You’re waiting up for your seventeen-year-old son. He’s past curfew. As you watch from the window, he emerges, and you realize he isn’t alone: he’s walking toward a man, and he’s armed. You can’t believe it when you see him do it: your funny, happy teenage son, he kills a stranger, right there on the street outside your house. You don’t know who. You don’t know why. You only know your son is now in custody, his future shattered. That night you fall asleep in despair. All is lost. Until you wake . . .. . . and it is yesterday. And then you wake again . . .. . . and it is the day before yesterday. Every morning you wake up a day earlier, another day before the murder. With another chance to stop it. Somewhere in the past lies an answer. The trigger for this crime—and you don’t have a choice but to find it . . . ~amazon.com

Review: So yes this was Reese Witherspoon's pick for her August book club but I had it on my radar/shelf before the announcement. I will say upfront that it took me a little bit to find a rhythm with the story but I think that was me more than the book. It is a fast paced and then you add time travel to it, I had to read it slowly to make sure I understood the timeline jumps. 

To what end would you go to for your family, to protect your son? Would you mess up your past and possibly your future to save him from being charged with murder? I'm pretty sure that any mom reading this is shaking her head "yes". That is really the heart of this novel: a mother's love for her son above all else, even her marriage. 

I figured out a bit of the mystery about half-way through the story but there was a big twist at the end that I'm kind of annoyed I didn't figure out. I had to read the ending a couple times to make sure I was absorbing it. I really can't say more without ruining the book, so I won't. 😀

As far as time travel goes, there are books where I find it confusing but Wrong Place, Wrong Time is not one of them and I totally give credit to the author/copyeditor/editor who put the days as the chapter titles. 

This is the perfect book to sit and read in one or two sittings because you really won't want to put it down. 

Share/Bookmark

No comments: