Thursday, April 25, 2013

Jenn's Review: Dark Secrets 1

 Blurb:  "Two girls haunted by the past...and destined to relive it " In "Legacy of Lies," Megan has to stay with the uptight grandmother she wants nothing to do with. She's determined to get through the visit without any drama, but when she falls into a twisted love triangle with potentially fatal consequences, Megan may be caught up in her family's legacy in more ways than she realizes.

In "Don't Tell," Lauren knows that by returning to the town where her mother drowned seven years ago, she'll be reliving one of her most haunting memories. When she arrives, she is propelled into a series of mysterious events that mimic the days leading up to her mother's death. Maybe her mother's drowning wasn't an accident after all...and maybe Lauren is next.


  Review:  I'll admit what first caught my attention about Elizabeth Chandler's Dark Secrets 1 is the cover.  I thought it was stunning.  I still do.  (Even my five year old daughter comes into my office and picks it out of the hundreds no matter where it is.)

What I loved about Elizabeth Chandler's writing is that it reminded me of the YA I used to read when I was growing up.  It's captivating and thrilling without being too heavy.  Ms. Chandler definitely has the ability to propel you through a story.  It was refreshing to read.

On closer inspection though, some of the relationships are a little twisted, especially in "Legacy of Lies".  In "Don't Tell" I felt like some of the explanation of events was sacrificed in order to keep things moving and that some of the reactions of the characters were... odd to say the least.  Of the two, I'd say "Legacy of Lies" was my favorite; I liked the concept of "Don't Tell", but didn't find the plot to be worked out as well.

I will definitely read another Elizabeth Chandler book - I think I'd like to try her other series, Kissed by an Angel.  As for the next Dark Secrets, I know I will be picking it up soon for a light read.  They are wonderful spooky stories.

Final Take:  3.5/5

  Share/Bookmark

No comments: