Sunday, June 3, 2012

Children's Corner: The Missing Piece

It's hard to believe that this is the first time we've reviewed a Shel Silverstein book on the blog... he was so much a part of my childhood.  (I love The Giving Tree, though as a mother I can't read it without weeping.)  Now I get to share my Silverstein love with Kidlet.

This is a perfect introduction to Silverstein, too.  Not to heavy handed, not too whimsical, just nicely balanced.  The illustrations are classic Silverstein simple, getting the reader to focus on what is really important.

This has become a fast favorite in our house, being read almost every night at bedtime.  My daughter runs around singing about bees and knees now.  While she enjoys the overall silliness, I love the message of the book, being happy with who/what you are.  I think it's perfect for this age, when kids are trying to figure out how to get other kids to like them... and it's a shame they don't pick it up again when the tweens kick in.  Actually, I think it's perfect at any age.


It always reminds me of my second favorite Seussian quote, Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. 

Share/Bookmark

No comments: