Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Jenn's Review: Ascend

Ascend (Trylle Trilogy, #3)Summary:  The final chapter in the Trylle Trilogy... With a war looming on the horizon, Wendy’s fate seems sealed. But everything she sacrificed might be in vain if she can’t save the ones she loves. Her whole life has been leading up to this, and it’s all coming to an end.

Review:  I had been trying to save this to read, but, once again, I could put it off no further... because I was dying to know the finale. Ascend is the perfect ending to the Trylle Trilogy. I'm sure there are more than a few people who wish Amanda Hocking had taken the obvious route with her plot, but I for one am so glad she didn't.

Wendy is trying to save her people but they continue to fight against her and amongst themselves making her task seem insurmountable. She has put the needs of her kingdom ahead of her own, but no matter what she tries, everything seems to be falling apart. I love that Wendy fights for what she believes in, whether it is popular or not. She stands her ground and will not be swayed.

The resolution of this novel is straightforward, but not as simple as it seems from the outset, and certainly not what I was expecting. It's marvelous that after getting to know Hocking's style she can continue to surprise and delight me with the artistry of her story telling. The relationships between her characters, from the major ones to the minor ones, are wonderful. I keep going back to them again and again because they are honest and true.

This is a brilliant series and I look forward to starting the My Blood Approves series from her as well as any and all of her future endeavors. I'm thrilled about Amanda Hocking's recent successes and I wish her many more.

Final Take: 5/5

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really didn't like this series at all but I'm glad someone did! I gave it a bad review, but I love reading other people's opinions on it anyway. Really shows the variety of tastes in book bloggers! :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.