Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Amanda Hocking: Publishing Contracts & Movie Rights

This was a big week for news from Amanda Hocking, a wildly successful, self-published YA author that I, and many other bloggers have been raving about.  On Thursday the NY Times reported that she had signed a deal with St. Martin's Press for a new four-book series called Watersong.  The first book, Wake, is planned to be released in the fall of 2012.  I was thoroughly excited for Ms. Hocking (read her comments here) because I could only imagine that she was on the road to even bigger things.

Then yesterday, I read even more exciting news for Ms. Hocking and fans alike.  The Hollwood Reporter reported Media Rights Capital has purchased the movie rights for the Trylle Trilogy!  They intend to make two movies of the three books and I can't wait!!!

I promised myself I wouldn't think about casting, as long as they stay away from Kristen Stewart, but I can't help thinking Helena Bonham Carter would make a great Elora... and for Willa, I'm going out on a limb here, but what do you think about Molly Quinn?  Feel free to jump in anytime, guys... I didn't promise myself that you couldn't think about casting.  *wink*

 Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Jessi E. said...

That's awesome! I hadn't heard about the movie deal! :)

lisa :) said...

I really hope her success helps to break down the prejudice that many readers still hold about not reading independent authors. There are so many wonderful writers out there - traditional and self-published - and I hope more readers take the time to evaluate work for themselves and remove the indie author stigma!