Monday, January 31, 2011

Jenn's Review: Switched

Switched (Trylle Trilogy, Book 1)Summary: When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right.

With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - a world both beautiful and frightening, and Wendy's not sure she wants to be a part of it.

Review: A million thanks to Julie at A Tale of Many Reviews for introducing me to Amanda Hocking's books. I may have stumbled on to her works on my own but more likely later, rather than sooner, and sooner is so much the better! This is an amazing book.

Wendy has never fit in, and after her traumatic childhood experience, she really doesn't put a lot of effort into fitting in. When mysterious Finn turns up he tells her it is time to return to her troll family. (That's right, troll. Many authors have cleaned up Vampires and Werewolves and portrayed them as misunderstood beings, but Amanda Hocking has chosen to tackle trolls, and does so brilliantly.) Trylle is the proper name for trolls, who look no different than humans, but wield incredible magical abilities. When Wendy realizes that she doesn't quite fit in with her new family either, she learns that seeking outward solutions may not be the answer and that 'fitting in' isn't as important as knowing who you are.

Amanda Hocking's characters are fascinating. Wendy may be a troubled teen, but she's not unlikeable. She has strong ideals which she will not compromise to please and compassion that she will not sacrifice to comply with the Trylle caste system. Finn, who may be her salvation or her ruination, is an enigmatic knight and one of those characters for which you just want to devour the story so that you might learn more about him.

Photobucket
Thank You Julie at A Tale of Many Reviews
Hocking's plot is compelling to the point of "unputdownable" and while the story left off with acceptable closure, the tale is far from complete. It left me hungry for more and I can hardly wait until I'll be able to return to it and find out where Wendy will go from here.

So impressed was I by Hocking's writing that I not only purchased the other two books in the Trylle Trilogy, but I also rushed to purchase her first series, a vampiric tale called My Blood Approves. (And I love that she has soundtracks for her books on her site!)  If you love YA fantasy, I strongly suggest you add Amanda Hocking to your collection; you won't be sorry.

Final Take: 5/5


Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Another convert! I agree, sooner IS so much better than later and I am so glad you liked one my fav authors and series! That gives me warm fuzzies. MY BLOOD APPROVES was actually the first series I read of Amanda's, so keep me posted on what you think! They are still going, but I am sad that Trylle has ended. What a ride though! Amanda has hinted she may consider in the future a spin off series for Trylle. I love that world, so I hope so!

Great review!

Jenn said...

I love her writing and her characters and... Everything! LOL. 5/5's are rare from me, but I just couldn't get enough of this one!

Thanks again, Julie!

Anonymous said...

Because you have great recommendations and you girls do a lot of work, I nominate you for the Gini Koch "Worth Your Weight in a 'Gator Battle" Award.
Come play! http://ginikoch.com/winstuff.htm

Gina said...

Wow, trolls? Huh...interesting choice. Love the message though...brilliant for readers of any age. Great review...might have to check this one out sooner as opposed to later. ^_^ Happy reading!