Monday, February 22, 2010

Julie's Review: Reasons

Summary: Delphi Brent, seriously injured in a hit-and-run accident as a teenager, is ready to spend the summer with old family friends when her parents make a distressing confession: the driver of the car that nearly killed her was one of the three sons of the Laughlin family she's about to visit. They urge her to stay home and let the past be, but she resolves to go out West anyway to learn the truth about what happened the night she was struck and one of the Laughlin sons died. However, in reconnecting with the Laughlins, who operate a sprawling ranch in Colorado, Delphi learns a lot not only about brothers and families, but also about the reasons people keep secrets, and what to do with the truth once it's uncovered. She also falls in love with one of the Laughlin brothers, and that wasn't part of the plan at all. ~amazon.com

Review: Let me just say that after reading Reasonsby Tracy Fabre I want to move to Colorado and live on a horse farm. I've always been partial to horse riding but I do imagine that it's not an easy life. Instantly, I liked Delphi (Del-Fi) Brent and rooted for her the whole way through the book. Sometimes a main character can grate on your nerves but not Delphi, I understood where she was coming from the majority of time.

Right off the bat, Delphi learns that the devastating car accident she had at 17 was caused by one of the son's of family friends. This happens to be the family she's reconnect with and decided to visit. She still goes despite her parents not really encouraging the trip down memory lane.

You pretty much know off the bat who she'll end up with and you root for them the whole way. Of course there are a few bumps along the way but that's to be expected. I found myself liking the majority of the characters that Ms. Fabre wrote. Even the one you don't like in the beginning, you end up not thinking they are so bad in the end.

The book doesn't pack any huge twists or surprises, it's just a well-written novel about two people finding each other and doing the dance of love. What I loved was how Ms. Fabre described everything, it made me feel like I was there. I could picture the kitchen, the stables and the clinic. Statler seems like a great town to visit. Especially, The Dusty Shelf.

I could have read this in a day if I didn't have 2 kids and a household to run but I did finish it in less that 48 hours. ;)

I'd like to thank Renee Giroux from Stimulating Conversations for sending me Reasons. It was a good, fun read for a winter weekend.

Final Take: 4/5

No comments: