Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Bottom 5 Books of 2008: Julie's List

Along with the Top 10 List I posted, I do feel that I have to do my part and post the list of the biggest disappointments, for me, of 2008.

The Ten Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer: Easily the worst book of 2008 and it had so much potential to be good. The stories were lame and so were the characters. I say "Don't bother"

The Rest of Her Life by Laura Morarity: I read her debut novel The Center of Everything and loved it, so I had high hopes. They fell flat and I probably won't read her again.

The Quickie by James Patterson: My dad gave this to me to read. While I do enjoy James Patterson, this one was just so bad. Definitely not up to his standard fare.

Blackbird by Jennifer Lauck: I'm not one into memoirs because only one view is tainted so I didn't really care for this one. There were times when I felt badly for her but they were few and far between. It's hard to root for someone when you don't like them.

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah: It's not that this book was horrible, because I did like the 80s references it just became so cliche and another book that could have been so much more. I did like the style of writing so I'd be willing to give Ms. Hannah another try.

5 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

sorry to hear that about Firefly Lane. I just got that in a shipment from BookCloseouts.com. Oh well. . .

Serena said...

The Quickie was horrible.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Blackbird! I read it over 5 years ago (pre-little kids!) - read the whole thing in one day. I don't remember a lot about it other than I related to the time period (but NOT her story, I had a wonderful childhood).

I have The Ten Year Nap on my TBR list. I thought it sounded really good but maybe not?

Happy New Year!

Meg89 said...

I'm glad to see a crappiest books of the year list, they're more fun than the top tens! Here's to hoping your crappy list is shorter next year!

tinylittlelibrarian said...

Ooo, I should make this list! And a top one, too. Arg, 5 days into the new year and I'm already behind!

I read a Wolitzer one a few years ago that I didn't hate but was kinda weird and haven't given her another chance since.