Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Jenn's Review: Anatomy of a Boyfriend

Summary: Before this all happened, the closest I'd ever come to getting physical with a guy was playing the board game Operation. Okay, so maybe that sounds pathetic, but it's not like there were any guys at my high school who I cared to share more than three words with, let alone my body.

Then I met Wes, a track star senior from across town. Maybe it was his soulful blue eyes, or maybe my hormones just started raging. Either way, I was hooked. And after a while, he was too. I couldn't believe how intense my feelings became, or the fact that I was seeing—and touching—parts of the body I'd only read about in my Gray's Anatomy textbook. You could say Wes and I experienced a lot of firsts together that spring. It was scary. It was fun. It was love.

And then came the fall.

Review: When Daria Snadowsky sent me this book to read, I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't this. Because it's labeled YA chick-lit, I think I was prepared to discover more Gossip Girls, less... real. There are lots of reviewers comparing the book to Judy Blume's Forever; the author herself even dedicates it to Blume. I am abashed to admit, I never read Judy Blume growing up - is that considered a crime against humanity? - I was more of a of a Madeleine L'Engle fantasy fiction and mystery (Nancy Drew Case Files) fanatic. So this book took me completely by surprise.

Unlike some YA chick-lit that champions sex for the sake of sex, this book is NOT trashy. Snadowsky paints a very real portrait of first love and first sexual experiences that is very relevant today. Snadowsky doesn't speak for or against teen sex but relates the trials and triumphs of a mature teen who is experiencing everything for the first time. There are moments I'm sure many of us can relate to... some fondly and some not so fondly. Honestly, I wish I'd read this as a teen (or perhaps Ms Blume, as she's more my vintage). It gives realistic expectations; it's informative without being a 'how to'; it captures the emotional roller coaster that is first love and first sex. It's honest, and I find that really refreshing.

But here's the real test:

Would I give this to my daughter to read when she starts dating seriously? (As much as I'd prefer her to be 25 before she decides to serious date, I know how unlikely that is...)

You bet I would.

4.8/5.0

4 comments:

Julie said...

I was a Judy Blume girl so this actually sounds up my alley! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Serena said...

I didn't read a whole lot of judy blume. I really like Nancy Drew books and poetry! I was a weird kid!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

awesome review. i've heard great things about this as well. i really really want to read it!

-lauren

come and chat.
books and more.

Unknown said...

I really need to read this book!! It really does sound great.