Monday, December 31, 2007

The Best of 2007: Lisa's Picks

2007 was not the best reading year for me, however, there were a few stand-outs. I won't rank these because personally they are all at the top of the heap - well worth your time.
  • Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince, – J.K. Rowling capped her already wonderful series with its finest outing. I look forward to reading these again and again and again.

  • All But My Life, Gerda Weissman Klein – I normally don’t read autobiographies, but this book club pick had me running to Wikipedia. Well written and heart-wrenching, this book makes me believe in hope.

  • A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini – Read it. ‘Nuff said. See our review here.

  • Behind Those Eyes, T.P. Carter – Do you believe in soul-mates? This debut novel from African American author, T.P. Carter (another impulse purchase), took a story of love and makes you wonder if it is worth the consequences, even if you can love and be loved just for a short time.

  • Nineteen Minutes, Jodi Picoult – Jodi Picoult does it again and somehow with unbelievable timing. Nobody does moral dilemmas better, except maybe…

  • The Double Bind, Chris Bohjalian – Recommended by Barnes & Noble, I bought this on a whim. This book represents everything I believe a book should be. Bohjalian took a classic “The Great Gatsby”, wrapped it in a delightful narrative and a surprising twist that for days after had me questioning everything I’d read.

  • Midwives, Chris Bohjalian, - I picked this up after reading The Double Bind, and I honestly don’t know how I’d missed this author for so long. I got so caught up in the story, that I was sad when the end came. Not to mention, that twist. So subtle, so unexpected, so good.

5 comments:

Julie said...

I'm excited to read Chris Bohjalian's book that we are going to do as a group. I might have to borrow The Double Bind and Midwives from you. :)

Afina Ahly said...

2007 was a standout year for bold and elegant design choices, where luxury interiors truly started blending comfort with modern sophistication. Even today, many of those timeless ideas continue to inspire homeowners who search for luxury interior designers near me to recreate that perfect balance of style, functionality, and premium aesthetics in their living spaces.

Maisha Siddiqui said...

Lisa's picks from 2007 are such a nostalgic throwback — that era had such distinct style and charm! It's fun to look back at how much has changed since then, even in how we handle money now. Back then nobody imagined a crypto payment gateway would be a normal thing, but here we are! Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Lisa.

Mark said...

What a wonderful and nostalgic trip down memory lane! 2007 was truly a remarkable year filled with incredible moments, unforgettable experiences, and standout highlights worth celebrating. Lisa's picks are a beautiful reminder of how documenting and preserving our favorite moments creates a lasting legacy we can always look back on with joy. Speaking of preserving and documenting what matters most — a trusted law firm does exactly that for its clients, carefully recording, organizing, and protecting every important legal detail to ensure the best possible outcomes. Because just like the best moments of 2007 deserve to be remembered, your most important legal matters deserve to be perfectly protected!

Emma Bennet said...

Excellent recommendations! Books that explore complex stories and real-life experiences remind us how important accurate records and reliable documentation can be. That’s something I appreciate about tools like EvidenceDesk which help professionals keep important information organized. Thanks for sharing such a thoughtful reading list.