Monday, December 17, 2007

Top 10 Books of 2007: Julie's List

I can't believe we are nearing the end of another year. And that means for me I'm 6 weeks away from baby #2!! WOW!! As I type, I'm reading my 47th book of 2007, with the hopes of finishing it before the holidays so I can cruise through another while off of work. Well without further ado, here is my Top 10 List of 2007:

Harry Potter and The Dealthy Hallows - J.K. Rowling; I don't know if there's much to say about this book other than it was a fantastic end to a fantastic series. I cried, I laughed and I utterly loved it. It's probably the best book of 2007 if not the last few years for me. I thank both Jenn and Lisa for getting me to read this.

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseni; As a huge fan of The Kite Runner, I couldn't wait for his second book to come out and I was not disappointed. I was amazed at how a male writer could write a female's point of view so well and eloquently. I also loved learning about a part of th world that I don't know a lot about.

All But My Life - Gerda Klein Weissmann; Jenn recommended this non-fiction book about one survivor's story through the Holocost. I haven't read many books about this subject other than The Diary of Anne Frank so it was a great book for more exposure on this horrendeous part of history. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn.

My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult; What a powerful book about sisterly love and obligation. This is probably one of my favorite Jodi Picoult books. I've always admired the way she takes a social topic and creates real and warm and sometimes hated characters in a story.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards; I picked this book up on a whim at Target and I'm glad I did. What a powerful story about love and decisions that change our lives forever, good or bad. I enjoyed the way the author told the story from a few different points of view.

Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen; What a tremendous debut novel about 2 sisters and family history. I loved the mystery and magic that surrounded the characters and the story. Ultimately it's about opening yourself up and letting go.

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger; Lisa recommended this book and I'm glad I decided to take her advice (although when haven't I about books). I read it while on vacation and promptly left it with my dad to read. While I did find it hard to follow at times, I found the love story to be timeless and everlasting and beautifully written. Plus it's set in Chicago and you can't go wrong there.

19 Minutes - Jodi Picoult; I'll say it again, this woman is a master at taking a social issue and writing a story around that makes you think twice about what you think you would do or know about a subject. The fact that this was out so close to the Virginia Tech shootings makes it even more timely of a subject matter.

Cold Paradise - Stuart Woods; An earlier Stone Barrington novel this one was excellent and is what made me go back and start the Barrington novel's from the beginning. I probably wouldn't have read it if I knew that a character from an earlier book would appear but nothing I can do about it now. Stuart Woods is a master storyteller and to me the Stone Barrington books are his best.

Echo Park - Michael Connelly; My dad lent me this book and I'm glad he did. I throughly enjoyed my first Harry Bosch novel. I love crime/police/law books (and tv shows) and this one did not disappoint me at all. I love it when I discover a new author even if the author him or herself isn't "new". Harry is a likeable and real character which makes the book even more enjoyable.

My warmest holiday wishes to all of you who visit our little blog and hopefully I'll have another review, or 2, up before 2007 is just history.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great list! I agree with you on My Sister's Keeper (loved it!) but not with Memory Keeper's Daughter. That one was actually on my 'worst' list this year! Too each his (her) own...

Julie said...

That's the great thing about books, a bunch of people can read the same book and get different reactions.

Thanks for visiting!