Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Are You A Re-Reader?

If Jenn was British, she'd undoubtedly be a part of the 80% referenced in this article. Me, on the other hand, I'm still wondering if I'd be included. Apart from the Harry Potter series (how could you not read those countless times?), I mostly never re-read, unless of course, there's a movie in the works. Most books aren't really worth the time anyway.

But "Pride and Prejudice" as a top re-read? Really?

So what about you, would you be a part of the 80%? And what would be atop of your list?

3 comments:

Julie said...

If I've tried to read Pride and Prejudice 2x and haven't gotten through it does that count as a re-read? ;)

I will eventually re-read Harry Potter but I've got so much new material to read I don't know when that'll happen. Then there is the Chronicles of Narnia series I really want to read again.

Alice said...

I'm a re-reader. If it's something I really love, I'll try to read it once a year. Some of my fave re-reads are:

Summer Sisters
The Notebook
Mercy (Julie Garwood, not the one by the My Sister's Keeper author - I totally forgot her name)
My Sister's Bones

I like to re-read because it's like spending time with a friend I haven't seen in a while. Plus, sometimes I forgot why I loved it to begin with and it's nice to remind myself. What's strange is when I read something again and my opinion changes completely. An example is Good in Bed. The first time I read it I loved it, thought Cannie was great. Second time I read it, I hated Cannie. I still loved JW's writing style, but Cannie totally changed for me.

Another reason I do it is because I have so many books, I'll re-read to see if it's worth keeping. If I don't want to read it again, why am I even holding onto it?

Jenn said...

I agree, "six".

I own DVDs and rewatch movies... it's not much of a stretch from there to re-reading a book. Yes, you know how it's going to end, but you enjoy the nuances all over again, sometimes discovering others.