Sunday, March 16, 2014

Children's Corner: What My Kids Are Reading

So, most nights my 8 year old reads herself to sleep, so I don't have a lot of those reading to her moments anymore, but I'm thrilled that she's reading on her own and it's how she chooses to end her night. She recently had the Scholastic Book Fair where she picked up Shannon Hale's The Storybook of Legends (Ever After High) and Whatever After: Sink or Swim. She was all impressed that I followed Ms. Hale on Twitter. We also went to the library this weekend where she picked up Big Nate: In a Class by Himself.

What I've found with her is that she likes to read multiple books at once and rotate them. That is not like me, but why force my reading style on her, when she'll find her own.

Now my 6 year old is reading at a 2nd grade level, so while he might love Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes, I've encourage him to up his choice of books. So he's come home with a couple Star Wars books from the school library. He also has been really into Minecraft the past few months, so his purchase at the book fair was the Minecraft: Essential Handbook from Scholastic. He also got this Minecraft novel for his birthday.

His choices at the the library this weekend were a few of Dave Pilkey's Captain Underpants. Now, they aren't my cup of tea but they definitely appeal to a 6 year old boy's sense of humor. Saying that, again I'm happy he's found something to read that excites him. I'll still read to him when he asks but I am throughly enjoying that both of them are becoming independent readers.

What are your kiddos reading?


 Share/BookmarkGoogle+

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gage isn't reading on his own, but he does love Pete the Cat :)