Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Book to Movie: Marley and Me

Summary: When a dog wriggles his adorable rear end into a human's life, the human will never be the same. And both Marley, the dog, and Marley & Me, the movie, manage to endear themselves deeply despite a few wee flaws. Readers of the John Grogan bestseller already know the raffish charm of the incorrigible yellow lab puppy, Marley, adopted by Grogan and his wife because she's "never seen anything more adorable in my life." But Grogan's simple tale of love, in all its forms, shines on the big screen, thanks to deft comic turns by Jennifer Aniston--in top form here--and Owen Wilson. Their chemistry is utterly natural and believable as Marley's owners, as is their interaction with the very naughty but ultimately irresistible Marley. As Marley grows up, the film follows his escapades--flunking out, spectacularly, from puppy training at the hands of a wickedly funny Kathleen Turner. And as Marley grows up, John and Jenny build their life together and weather some tough emotional blows. Like My Dog Skip, which it resembles in its affection for its subject, Marley & Me is a tear-jerker, but in the sweetest, most lovely way--because it, and its four-legged star, have wriggled into our hearts. Good boy ~amazon.com

Review: I will say this, I'm not an Owen Wilson fan and when I found out he was going to be in this adaptation I was a little miffed. I mean he doesn't look like John Grogan at all. I'm a pretty big Jennifer Aniston fan and knew that she'd be fine as the wife because really the book/movie is about Marley and John. I didn't love the book when I read it but I thought the movie would be good for a Sunday afternoon. It was good but it wasn't great. I laughed and I cried a lot. I even said to my husband, "Why do I watch these dog movies, they always make me cry?"

The movie captured what the book did as well, they were not good dog owners but they sure as heck loved that misbehavin' dog. I know that most dogs need to be trained on some level and Labradors are pretty active but I think Marley was a bit rambunctious. He sure was adorable though.

I think it was pretty true to the book but it's been 3-4 years since I've read it.
All in all a good family movie to plop down on the couch and watch, if you and your kids can handle the sad parts.

Book to Movie Final Take: 3.5/5

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I liked the book and movie, though I am not a fan Wilson either and I can take or leave Aniston.

I got frustrated reading the book because, though Marley was rambumctious, a lot of his problems were either owner created or enabled. As a dog owner, I groaned my way through a lot of the parts that were supposed to be funny.

I too found the movie to be a good adaptation of the book. Although I actually think some of the outtakes were the best part of the movie. I agree with Julie's rating and recommendation, a good family movie for mature kids.

Anonymous said...

I cannot handle pet books or movies. I spend the whole tie in tears!